Zen Habits has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://zenhabits.net and update your bookmarks.

zen habits: Happiness tip: Don't complain, find solutions

Friday, February 16, 2007

Happiness tip: Don't complain, find solutions


Every day we are faced with problems, but the key to our happiness is not whether or not we have problems, but how we look at them.

We have two choices:

  1. Be negative, complain about the problem, wallow in self-pity, make others miserable because of your problem. OR
  2. Be positive, try to find a solution to the problem, remain optimistic that it can be overcome, look at it as an opportunity to learn and grow, and inspire others around you to conquer challenges.
Which one do you do?

Which one do you think will make you happy?

2 comments:

John F said...

There is a third choice... accept the problem. There are lots of things that we have no control over but we chose to complain about anyway. The weather, getting older etc.

Leo said...

Hi John ... grat point! I think the reason I didn't think of that option is that even when I do accept the problem, I tend to do so in an optimistic way (well, sometimes). For example, I might accept that the weather is extremely rainy and stormy, but I can still look at that as a positive ... it's a great chance to stay inside and cuddle with my wife, or play board games and read to the kids. Getting old is something we surely can't change either, and I've accepted it, but I don't see it as a problem ... for me, getting older has meant more stability, less impulsiveness, and more accomplishments than when I was in my 20s, for example. And I'm able to enjoy time with my kids now.

But your point is well taken. Thanks for the comment.