Zen Habits has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://zenhabits.net and update your bookmarks.

zen habits: Top 20 Motivation Hacks - #20

Friday, February 2, 2007

Top 20 Motivation Hacks - #20

Quick intro: I first intended this Top 20 list to be in a single post, but I decided that breaking them into separate posts would allow me to concentrate on each a little more. So, I present my list of the Top 20 Motivation Hacks.

A number of people have commented that I must be dedicated to achieve some of the goals I'm going for: exercise, frugality, organization, healthy eating, etc. Well, I don't believe in someone being naturally "dedicated" ... it's all a matter of motivation. You can achieve anything if you motivate yourself enough.

Motivation Hack #20: Chart Your Progress.

Today I also posted about how I created a chart to track my progress with each of my goals. This chart is not just for information purposes, for me to look back and see how I'm doing. It's to motivate me to keep up with my goals. If I'm diligent about checking my chart every day, and marking dots or "x"s, then I will want to make sure I fill it with dots. I will think to myself, "I better do this today if I want to mark a dot." Well, that's a small motivation, but it helps, trust me. Some people prefer to use gold stars. Others have a training log, which works just as well. Or try Joe's Goals. However you do it, track your progress, and allow yourself a bit of pride each time you give yourself a good mark.

Now, you will have some bad marks on your chart. That's OK. Don't let a few bad marks stop you from continuing. Strive instead to get the good marks next time.

Over time, if you stick with this motivational tool, you will start to get a lot of good marks. And that is one of the best feelings in the world.

Top 20
#20
#19
#18
#17
#16
#15
#14
#13
#12
#11
#10
#9
#8
#7
#6
#5

2 comments:

j03d0g said...

This blog is a cool tool for self development. I like your easy writing style. Nice Layout, many great tips for motivation. I am a mid lifer in the midst of a good long look at my navel and planning to embark on a trip similar to you, exercise, spend thrifting and feeling good about being alive. Thanks for sharing, its a great inspirational place which I'll be coming back to. I might even start my own blog about my adventures. OM!

Leo said...

@03: thanks for the comment. I'm glad you like the site, and I hope you do keep coming back. Or subscribe! If I've inspired you just a little, you've made my day.

and please do start your own blog, and let me know about it.