Zen Habits has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://zenhabits.net and update your bookmarks.

zen habits: Should I do it or should I not?

Thursday, February 1, 2007

Should I do it or should I not?

I recently completed my first triathlon, just a super-sprint one with a 200-meter swim, a 10K bike and a 2-mile run. Pretty easy, unless you're a novice like me.

But I just found out about a swim-run biathlon coming up in about two weeks, and while the 5K run doesn't sound hard at all, the 1-kilometer swim does. That's five times the distance I did in my first triathlon. I don't know if I can do that yet.

Of course, my goal this year is to complete an Olympic-distance triathlon, which has a swim of 1,500-meters, so it would be a good idea for me to try to swim the 1K distance as part of my training.

So I'm torn. I'm not sure what I'll do yet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Judging by your other blog entries, you sound like the kind of guy who will soon have abandoned the state of 'Can I?' for the state of 'I can!'. Good luck :)

Leo said...

Excellent comment! You're getting to know me too well.

But I think what's holding me back is not a "Can I?" attitude, but my knowledge (learned from mistakes in the past year) that I can sometimes be TOO ambitious and take on more than I'm ready for. Which, in the sports I'm learning, can mean burnout or injury. So I've learned to be a little more cautious and take things a little more gradually.

But you're probably right ... I'll probably just go for it. I'm already trying to plan my training (in my head) so that I can at least complete that distance.