Zen Habits has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://zenhabits.net and update your bookmarks.

zen habits: What are YOUR 43 Things?

Saturday, February 10, 2007

What are YOUR 43 Things?


I've been a fan of goals website 43 Things for awhile, although I don't use it on a daily basis. What I love about it is that it forces you to think about what you want to achieve, what you'd like to do this year, or over the next two or five or 10 years.

If you haven't done it yet, I suggest you go to the site and try it out (and no, I'm not getting paid by them!) ... set your 43 things that you'd like to do (or whatever number you'd like). The cool thing is you can look at other people's goals, and get ideas and inspiration from people all over the world. There are also other kinds of lists ... books you'd like to read, places you want to visit, your lists of favorites or things you'd like to do before you die. Many possibilities, all of them good.

Of course, you can do this on paper or on any program. As long as you set some goals. Then make a plan to achieve them. Last year I set my top 8 goals for the year, and I accomplished all but one (to be able to do 25 pullups, which I hope to do this year).

Another cool feature, a new one, is the personal challenge -- you publicly challenge yourself to do one of your things by a certain date, and if you don't, you set something that you have to do instead (like eat your hat, or whatever).

Here are the 18 things left on my list:

  1. complete a triathlon
  2. live passionately
  3. get out of debt
  4. make my wife happy for the rest of her life
  5. be present
  6. live simply
  7. pare my life to its essentials
  8. save more money
  9. complete an ironman triathlon
  10. see the northern lights
  11. practice zen
  12. backpack through Europe
  13. finish reading Ulysses
  14. build a simple house
  15. help end world hunger
  16. do twenty-five pullups
  17. watch a sunset in thailand
  18. run a marathon in under 3.5 hours
I had more on here, but I've already checked them off.

For a more fun list, see the list of things I want to do before I die.

What are YOUR 43 things?

See also:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I will go and create a list ... I've been there before but I never bothered to give it much thought. I love your list! Great list of things to do before you die ... punch a kangaroo! lol!

Anonymous said...

I don't have a list yet, but some of my goals:
* lose weight
* cut out soda
* read more
* light weights
* finish my degree
* get a better job
* learn italian
* garden
* stop smoking
* volunteer more