Zen Habits has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://zenhabits.net and update your bookmarks.

zen habits: Top 20 Motivation Hacks - #13

Sunday, February 4, 2007

Top 20 Motivation Hacks - #13

Quick intro: I first intended this Top 20 list to be in a single post, but I decided that breaking them into separate posts would allow me to concentrate on each a little more. So, I present my list of the Top 20 Motivation Hacks.

A number of people have commented that I must be dedicated to achieve some of the goals I'm going for: exercise, frugality, organization, healthy eating, etc. Well, I don't believe in someone being naturally "dedicated" ... it's all a matter of motivation. You can achieve anything if you motivate yourself enough.

Motivation Hack #13: Give it time, be patient.

I know, this is easier said than done. But the problem with many of us is that we expect quick results. I blame this on our quick-fix, immediate-gratification culture. We want a diet that will give us results in two weeks. We want to workout and have a flat stomach in four weeks. We want to get out of debt in two months and we want to retire in a few years. Well, unless you were almost there to start with, it ain't gonna happen.

When you think about your goals, think long term. If you want to lose weight, you may see some quick initial losses, but it will take a long time to lose the rest. If you want to run a marathon, you won't be able to do it overnight. If you don't see the results you want soon, don't give up ... give it time. In the meantime, be happy with your progress so far, and with your ability to stick with your goals. The results will come if you give it time.

As an example, my weight loss has slowed down considerably since I initially lost 20 pounds. I think I was taking in too many calories. I might still be, but I've cut back on sweets and I've stepped up the exercise, with the triathlon training that I'm doing. Now I think I'm losing weight (or fat) again, slowly. I don't weigh myself much, but people have been commenting on it a lot. The thing is, I'm still far from my goal of having a flat stomach ... but I know that if I give it time, I will get there.

Top 20
#20
#19
#18
#17
#16
#15
#14
#13
#12
#11
#10
#9
#8
#7
#6
#5

No comments: