Website Living on a Dime has a bunch of great tips for the frugal out there, including a great article on keeping your house clean and organized called Secrets of the Organized.
Among my favorite tips (some of which I already do):
- Have the entire family spend five minutes picking up the family room or living room before they go to bed. Set a timer for young kids so they don't get overwhelmed.
- As you're undressing, don't throw your dirty clothes on the floor or on the furniture. While they are still in your hand, put them in the hamper or if they're still clean, hang them up.
- Think ahead: What are you having for dinner? Are the kid’s papers signed and ready for school? What clothes are you wearing tomorrow?
- Pick up as you go. Each time you walk through a room, pick up something.
- Keep on top of things: If you do small cleanings every day, you'd be surprised how much you can accomplish. In ten minute increments, you can do each of the following: wash the dishes, vacuum, file a pile of papers or clean your purse. It shouldn't take more than ten minutes for each child to pick up his room before bed and to lay out his clothes for the morning.
- Don't let the laundry, dishes, toys and paperwork get out of control.