Zen Habits has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://zenhabits.net and update your bookmarks.

zen habits: Givin' up caffeine - help!

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Givin' up caffeine - help!


The last two weeks I've been giving up coffee. And sweets.

My two favorites. I LOVE coffee. And chocolate.

Yikes.

I'm trying to quit the caffeine gradually, so I don't get the headaches. I've been drinking only half a cup for the last week. I think next week I'll be down to next to nil.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Updates:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, how is the caffeine reduction going?

Leo said...

Hi Todd ... it's going pretty well. It's now been about a month since I went cold turkey, and six weeks since I started cutting back, I think ... and I think I'm mostly cured of the addiction. I took two sips of my wife's coffee two days ago, kind of as a treat. It tasted great, but I was able to stop from drinking a full cup, and I haven't had any the last two days, so I think that was OK. I figure in a couple more weeks I can have a cup now and then as a treat, as long as I don't let it become a daily addiction again.

Thanks for asking!

Anonymous said...

I gave up coca cola for the same reason (addiction); I would have a headache if I went for a day without it. After about two years of not having it I find that I react very strongly to it - a coke at lunchtime disturbs my sleep...so my advice is to not go back to a whole cup very soon...take it easy for a while. A couple of sips sounds about right!

Leo said...

Thanks for sharing your experience ... that's helpful. Yeah, I don't think I'm ready to drink a whole cup. I can feel the effects of a few sips like I never did before. I appreciate your advice. And congrats on your successful quit!