Zen Habits has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://zenhabits.net and update your bookmarks.

zen habits: Givin' up caffeine - help!

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Givin' up caffeine - help!

The last two weeks I've been giving up coffee. And sweets.

My two favorites. I LOVE coffee. And chocolate.


I'm trying to quit the caffeine gradually, so I don't get the headaches. I've been drinking only half a cup for the last week. I think next week I'll be down to next to nil.

I'll let you know how it goes.



Todd Stanfield said...

Well, how is the caffeine reduction going?

Leo said...

Hi Todd ... it's going pretty well. It's now been about a month since I went cold turkey, and six weeks since I started cutting back, I think ... and I think I'm mostly cured of the addiction. I took two sips of my wife's coffee two days ago, kind of as a treat. It tasted great, but I was able to stop from drinking a full cup, and I haven't had any the last two days, so I think that was OK. I figure in a couple more weeks I can have a cup now and then as a treat, as long as I don't let it become a daily addiction again.

Thanks for asking!

Anonymous said...

I gave up coca cola for the same reason (addiction); I would have a headache if I went for a day without it. After about two years of not having it I find that I react very strongly to it - a coke at lunchtime disturbs my sleep...so my advice is to not go back to a whole cup very soon...take it easy for a while. A couple of sips sounds about right!

Leo said...

Thanks for sharing your experience ... that's helpful. Yeah, I don't think I'm ready to drink a whole cup. I can feel the effects of a few sips like I never did before. I appreciate your advice. And congrats on your successful quit!